An event is anything that is associated with a date, which means a name + date are the bare requirements when posting to the calendar.
Adding an Event
In the admin dashboard, navigate via Events > +Add Event
Title + Date
- Name: (Required)This will be displayed as the event’s name in the main listing and on corresponding details pages.
- After you have entered the event’s name, Localist may display a future duplicates warning below the field, which will detail if there are any possible matching events either in the past or future. This is a substring match, so if there are three characters in a row anywhere in the title that match an event currently in the system, the warning links will be displayed.
- Description: No character limit. Embedding and HTML is available only to admins.
- Start Date: There are several ways you can enter a date: Oct 3, October 3, 10/3, “Next Friday,” “Tomorrow,” 10/3/14, etc. As you type the date below the field will update accordingly.
- Start / End Time: Use “6pm,” etc. Events do not require these times, but if there is an end time then there should be a start time.
- Recurs: By default events are set to never recur, but you have the option of daily, weekly or monthly.
You can either select to manually enter a place name + address (the "Use:" option) or you can select a place landing page, which will automatically pull in the saved address.
- Use: By selecting this option, you will not be connecting to an already created "place landing page" and will instead be using a custom location.
- If "Use:" is not displayed before the name then this means that what is listed is a "place landing page," and it is available for connecting your event to.
- If only text is entered in the field and a "Use:" or landing page option is not selected then Localist will save the text as-is for the place name.
If you select to use a custom option, such as "Use: Centennial Hall", as shown below, then fields for Address and Directions will appear.
- Room: This can be words or numbers.
"Upload" will allow you to pull images from your computer, and "Choose from Photo Library" will open a small window to browse previously uploaded photos (this pool is not searchable). Once a photo is selected you can crop and edit the chosen photo for this event.
- Filters: Select all that apply. Your options are for Event Type, Offices and Resources, Campus, Colleges and School, Audience, Groups, and Departments.
- Custom Fields: If you have added custom fields to your platform they will be listed after filters.
- Tickets & Registration can be found in the tab at the very top of the "Add an Event" page.
- Ticket Cost: Enter any number with accompanying text, such as "$50 at the door." If the event is free then leave this field blank or enter “free.”
- Ticket URL: This can be any URL. If a price is entered for ticket cost then this button will display Buy Tickets, but if there is no cost or the event is free then this button will display Register.
- Keywords: This field can be used for SEO purposes or for hidden tagging for widget purposes. These are not displayed publicly.
- Tags: These are displayed publicly and can be used to group like events that don’t warrant an entire designated filter, such as “Homecoming.”
- Twitter Hashtag: When entered, Localist will monitor mentions of the hashtag on Twitter and take mentions into consideration in the trending algorithm. Do not include the hashtag as it will automatically be added. Note: Only one hashtag can be used.
- Event Website: This can be any website. Simply add the HTML for the website you want linked to in this field.
- Vanity URL: This will give your event a custom URL.
- Owner: This field will display the email of the user who created the event. If ownership needs transferred, the email just needs to be changed to the new owner’s email. Note: Events that are added via a bulk upload or feed do not receive an owner.
- Sponsored: This flag forces an event to appear in
the trending list on your calendar homepage and selecting it will apply a different
styling so that it stands out.
- Exclude from Trending: Checking this flag will prevent an event from appearing in the trending list.
- Visibility: Events can be visible to everyone, visible only to users who are logged in, or 100%hidden from the calendar.
Once an event is saved, the form will show that the event is Verified.
Other articles about working in Localist:
- How do I add an event to the Localist Calendar as an administrator?
- What size image should I upload in the Localist calendar?
- Can a PDF be attached to an event?
- Why doesn’t the Localist calendar have a 30-day grid-view?
- What is the approval process for getting events on the Localist calendar?
- How do I gain Administrator rights to the Localist Calendar?
- What if I need an approved event modified or deleted from the Localist calendar?
- I’m an administrator for the Localist calendar. How do I create featured events for my college or school?
- How do I create a past events disclaimer in the Localist calendar?
- Should I include social interactions such as an "I’m Going" + Ticketing/Registering button on my Localist calendar event?
- Why are past events still appearing in the Localist calendar?
- Can I add a Localist Calendar event to my personal calendar?
- How do I create a widget in Localist for my Georgia State website?
- How do I turn off social interactions (e.g. "User comments," "I'm interested," and "Invite friends")?